Sunday, October 28, 2012

New Helmet Liner

It looks like Frankenstein's Monster, but it works, and that is all that matters. I cannibalized the original Russian helmet liner and spent four hours hand-sewing panels of mesh into a proper skullcap (the old one was a poorly-fitting bag) complete with a sweat-absorbing brow band, ear cups for the radio microphones, and strap attachments for the oral-nasal mask. One more item off of a long, long list. Today; further pressure testing. That's about done, as I am confident that I now know the location and cause of all leaks, and that I can deal with them all, mainly by replacing all plastic fittings with metal, which I can crank down tighter than the plastic, and which also poses no risk of cracking at the -70F temperatures at high altitude.

No comments: