Monday, July 19, 2010

Pressure Test Setback



Big setback in a recent pressure test. While there is only one small leak, now, and I could patch it up, I've crossed a line; I've done too many 'last little patches'. Too many pieces in the puzzle, and each is one that could fail, and failure of the pressure garment would lead to rapid decompression sickness and unconsciousness, followed of course by a trip across the Styx!

So I will completely dismantle and rebuild the helmet-pressure garment interface. That will take at least a month.

In better news, I took the wing out on Sunday, practicing a few launches and landings in a variable wind. Maintaining proficiency and automatically reacting to the wing's movements is critically important. Training sessions like this are like buying insurance!

No comments: