Friday, January 8, 2010

A COMET

A thrilling discovery--I can detect her thrill, as well as her caution regarding such a discovery-- in Caroline Herschel's diary, August 1786:


August 1st 1786. 9 hours 50 mins. I saw the object...like a star out of focus while the others were perfectly clear...I have calculated 100 nebulae today, and this evening I saw an object which I believe will prove tomorrow to be a Comet.

August 2nd. Today I calculated 150 nebulae. I fear it will not be clear tonight, it has been raining throughout the whole day...1 o'clock. the object of last night IS A COMET.

August 3rd. I did not go to rest until I had written to Dr. Blagden and Mr. Aubert to announce the Comet.

August 5th. I calculated nebulae all day...paid the smith. The night was tolerably fine and I SAW THE COMET.



From Richard Holmes' terrific book, The Age of Wonder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it.

Anonymous said...

Hello I'd love to thank you for such a terrific quality forum!
thought this is a perfect way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Laurence Todd
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/elmo-party-supplies.html]elmo Party Supplies[/url].