Friday, November 6, 2009

Alexei Leonov Floats in Space

When I was 13 I wrote a letter to cosmonaut Alexei Leonov, in Moscow, USSR. I'd read a children's book he'd written and illustrated about his experiences in space. Below, Leonov tells what it was like to float freely in space. He was the first human being to step out of a capsule and float freely. I may have posted this here before...if so, that doesn't matter. The clip bears review;



A year after I wrote to Leonov I recieved his reply--in the form of a short letter typed on horribly thin, patchy Russian paper--telling me that the way to get into space was to work hard and stay in school. Somewhere, slipped inside one of my two thousand books, I believe I still have the letter.

2 comments:

Flynn Renard said...

Quite heart warming.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.